Sunday, July 22, 2012

Obedience to that Law

I have recently learned a powerful lesson. This is a lesson that I have been taught ever since I can remember and yet, only now at 28 years old, am I learning it. Every blessing given to any person on earth is given according to the laws of justice. "Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." (Galatians 6:7)

I have spent the last 7 weeks trying to draw nearer unto my Father in Heaven and my Savior Jesus Christ. I have been blessed with many promptings, inspirations, and revelations that have guided me as I seek to renew my life as a disciple of Christ. I have been blessed to face challenges up against which I might otherwise have shrunk. I have been given the strength to walk by faith, the patience to endure, and the clarity of mind to discern between good and evil.


I have been working at a call center sales job for 5 weeks, now. I figured that I would be blessed and would know how to sell well, as long as I was doing what was right. What I did not count on, was that what I was doing, while good and spiritual, was not the answer to the question, "how do I sell this product better?"


I was reading in Elder Bednar's book "Increase in Learning" when I came across a powerful teaching that now makes more sense. Elder Bednar was asked about the role of the Spirit when it comes to matters that are not directly related to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. His answer was both needful and timely. He said that one mission of the Holy Ghost is to bring ALL things to our remembrance and teach ALL things that are needful. Insomuch that we are agents to act, and not be acted upon, it is our responsibility to be diligently working and taking in information. He used the example of being a new employee (coincidence? No, I choose to believe it was a "tender mercy of the Lord"). I knew what I needed to do. I needed to focus more on learning my job and the information surrounding my job. This way, the Holy Ghost had something to work with. A day or two before reading that, I also read from Sheri Dew's "No One Can Take Your Place." Talking about scripture reading, and this can relate to all learning, she states that a friend exclaimed that there was so much in the scriptures that she couldn't remember half of what she read. Her friend continued, "But I've decided it's my job to put them in, and the Holy Ghost's job to pull them out when I need them."


I am happy to report that I was blessed to have my best day yet and that when I left work on Saturday, I had been blessed to have the most sales on the call floor. I know that learning is essential in this life. We have the chance and the choice, as well as the responsibility, to learn every day of our lives.


Heavenly Father has blessings in store for us but he can't simply give us those gifts. He desires that we learn and grow. Elder D. Todd Christofferson taught that, "He is a tender parent who would spare us needless suffering and grief..." There are two things that we can take away from that statement. The first, and most important, is that our Heavenly Father loves us dearly. The second take away is that there definitely will be suffering along the way but, He has promised that the suffering has a purpose. He understands that this life will include testing, pain, anguish, and struggle. He "delights to honor those who serve [Him]." (Doctrine and Covenants 76:5) He put laws in place in order to give us every blessing possible. "There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated. And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated." (Doctrine and Covenants 130:20-21) He will not leave us alone. We can have his Spirit to be with us ALWAYS. I know this to be true and I am so thankful for a Loving Heavenly Father that guides every child that asks for his help. I hope that many more can learn to recognize the Spirit of the Lord so they, too, may be led into all good!

No comments: