Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Promised Blessings from Heaven

For a time, I dated a gal who was very wonderful. I felt drawn to her beautiful eyes, great spirit, and cheerful demeanor. After several weeks, I knew how I had begun to feel about her and wished to pursue a more established relationship. This gave me a sense of Déjà vu, due to the fact that every other relationship that I have had, at least in the realm of dating, has ended in heartbreak. I did not wish to go down that road again. I was reluctant to face those emotions and to openly discuss how I felt with her.

After several promptings and subsequent conversation, I felt to talk with her that evening. Having been a coward much of my life, I knew only to rely on the Lord for the strength to follow the feeling that I had. I thought "If I open myself and share those emotions and those feelings are not reciprocated, I will be crushed!" I wrestled with that feeling for most of the evening, drawing strength through reading the words of Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's book "Trusting Jesus" and through prayer. I pressed on, trusting that the Lord would help me to share what I felt, I prayed for patience until I understood the Lord's plan, I prayed that I would be faithful, no matter the outcome of the conversation that was now imminent.

I was relieved to feel the warmth that I have come to enjoy more and more frequently. An overwhelming sense of peace and reassurance encircled me. I felt as if Heavenly Father spoke to me saying, "My son, I am happy that you have chosen to trust in Me and in the plan that I have for you." I knew that initiating that conversation at that moment in time, although it had not happened yet but was sure to come within the next 24 hours, was the right thing to do. I did not know what would come of it but now I knew that whatever did come, this was the Lord's will for me.

I briefly exchanged texts with her as she said she couldn't talk that evening. She said that she would call the next day. As we had arranged, she called me the following evening and we spoke. I expressed my desires to date her, and only her, and asked where she stood on the matter. She did not feel the same feelings that I felt. She still wanted to date and spend time together but wanted to leave her options open. I was happy to find that the crushing pain of previous experiences did not come. I felt at peace with what she expressed and again felt the reassurance that this was the will of the Lord.

With this news, my confidence seemed to INCREASE and not to DECREASE. I took strength in the words of President Thomas S. Monson, "one of the greatest and most valuable lessons we can learn in mortality is that when God speaks and a man obeys, that man will always be right." The result of the conversation was not what I had hoped for. However, I know that I had felt prompted to speak the words which I had spoken at that specific moment. Elder Richard G. Scott taught, "With certainty, you will receive every promised blessing for which you are worthy." I know this is true and I look forward with hope to those "promised blessings."

No comments: