Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Sustaining Our Leaders

I just finished reading the 26th chapter of Mosiah in the Book of Mormon.  The last few months, I have been writing my thoughts and feelings in a personal journal as I feel that a journal is the proper place for those thoughts and revelations.  However, I feel that the following thoughts are to be shared.  I don't expect to make anyone "see the light" or anything of that nature.  I simply wish to share my testimony.

Mosiah chapter 26 is scripture for our day.  The warning voice is raised regarding dissensions.  There were many who were in the church that were deceived (led astray) by the flattering words of others.  I believe that this happens frequently today.  I believe that it is imperative that we each decide for ourselves that we will truly sustain our leaders.  Sometimes we will not know "WHY" something is the way it is.

When I raise my right hand to the square and sustain general and local officers, I know that that entails a great amount of trust.  I trust that my leaders are doing everything in their power to lead and guide this church as the Savior directs.  I trust that they are living their lives so that they may be guided by the Spirit.

I haven't always had this trust.  I used to have to know "WHY" and I have found that the "why" slope is a slippery one.  Sometimes the Lord cannot or simply will not tell us why, be it for our own good and/or our development.  Maybe the Lord is proving us and our ability to follow the leaders that He has placed before us.  Alma 30:44 states, "...thou hast had signs enough; will ye tempt your God?  Will ye say, Show unto me a sign, when ye have the testimony of all these thy brethren, and also the holy prophets?"

I know that the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have been called of God.  I know that they have led and continue to lead the church with direction from the Lord, himself.  I know that they have led me into all good and have taught correct principles.  I will continue to sustain them and follow them.  I know the Book of Mormon is a work inspired by God meant for our day.  I know that my Redeemer lives and that through Him, I, along with all of my brothers and sisters, can be redeemed and brought to live in the presence of my Heavenly Father.

No comments: